Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I thee wed...

Marriage: the final step in uniting the long lived, amorous relationship that has been steadily building throughout many passively strained years.

Indeed, many dream of the day when the bond that has been maintaining the sometimes antithetical relationship intact becomes officially sealed off through the covenant of marriage. It truly is a wonderful milestone, a thrilling adventure, and unforgettable experience. I am not thinking about being wed any time soon, I began this post because one of my best friends (whom I met in middle school and have remained the best of friends since) told me that she will be getting married soon. I have not met her fiancée yet since he is from Wales and when we came to visit, I was not in town because I was off in school. She told me that they met, like most modern relationships these days, online. She told me that despite being long-distance, she is still very happy with him. I asked her about the wedding day and location, she informed me that she has been planning to get married here but possibly move in with him in the near future.

I am sure that she has been feeling the need to get married soon since she and her fiancée live miles away and the only way to keep their relationship strong is by being together. In my opinion, I feel that she should have given this a little more thought since it has not even been two years since she met the guy. Like most of the people from my generation, (at least from my side of town) the majority has already fallen down the path of pregnancy and young marriage--I wouldn't be surprised if most of them eloped.

I've been asked once by a guy from my previous university(the only person that was able to get out so much information from me. Information about me that I would have never shared with anyone. I have no idea how he did it--but more on that later): "your career path will make you a very busy woman--have you even given marriage a thought?" We talked about this topic for hours. I told him that I have obviously thought about marriage but I am going to let it happen when it happens. I honestly have not made an ever-changing list of my ideal fairy tale marriage or laid out the characteristics of my oh so handsome dream man like most women do. Yes, I might be a precariously picky person at times but honestly, I am not looking for anything special in a man. I am not looking for anything special in a marriage. I am just going to accept what comes my way--having a captious attitude will not get you anywhere. Well, I will only maintain that attitude at work since that's the only way you get things done. Looking at the nature of life's beautiful surprises with a critical eye will only make your life miserable because you can't always get what you want--especially if the standards are inconceivably high.

Another thing that he had asked me was, "You came here to study but has it ever occurred to you that you might find your future husband here?" I laughed when he said that. Part of me laughed because of his straight-forwardness and part of me laughed because he was absolutely correct. My roommate had also commented on that point and I never put much thought into it. I never planned on coming to school to find a boyfriend or a future husband. If anything, I never even considered having a boyfriend my freshman year of college and while it did happen, I was very happy it did and I don't regret one single moment of it because he confirmed what I have been reiterating: let things fall into place, if they happen it's because they happen for a reason--and the reason will be worth it every time and the time spent will always be a good one.

My point of this post--No, I won't let marriage or any kind of relationship interfere with my school and career. Yes, I am surely going to become a workaholic--I can feel it already. No, I am not looking for someone special anytime soon. Yes, marriage is a beautiful thing but it is surely not anywhere near the top of my to-do list at this point in life including any form of serious relationship. No, I am not going to runaway from dating--I am going to hide and then run (I'm an expert at both.) No, seriously--I won't hide or run, I'll just let God make the decisions and whatever he decides, I will follow through.

Ok, I've certainly given my two cents on that topic. While I still have a lot more things to say, I will continue another time. As for now, I need to continue my reading--the list of books which I have yet to post!
The good thing is that I have already begun a book: "The Carbon War" by Jeremy Leggett Should be a very interesting read! I will be glued to this book--for sure!

Addendum:

Day 2 of school
I got to see two of my old high school friends at my community college (I'll include names to make things less confusing by only using my oh so wearisome pronouns.) Abraham and Daniel--very good people(They're one of the few guys that I've met with a well mannered personality and polite manners toward girls as well as adults, their parents raised them well.) I had not seen them in over a year! Apparently they will both be transferring soon to the university that I am going to attend this coming fall. I guess the transfer won't be too bad after all. I'll see old friends and I'm specially excited to make new friends! I'm definitely going to be sad that I won't be able to go back to my other school...but more on that later.

“Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment